I often have the unpopular opinion on particular issues. Generally I keep them to myself, but the benefit of a blog is to mouth off.
Many of the people that I went to high school (and even university with) are school teachers. Most of those who choose to do math have jobs, but most of those that did other things like English and History do not have jobs. They get by on substituting and tutoring. What bothers me is the amount of complaining (mostly on Facebook) about the lack of available substituting and other issues surrounding not being able to get enough work. The reason that this bothers me is THIS IS WHAT THEY SIGN ON FOR!!!!! Everyone knew, when we were starting university, that unless you did math or a science or french as a teachable, there were not any jobs. It was common knowledge 10 years ago. So what did these people think?
When I decided to pursue my degree and this whole academia thing, I knew this meant that I would probably have to live and work somewhere for a few years before getting a position I really want. I knew this, and so I am not upset about it.
Anyway, that is my unpopular opinion for today: substitute teachers should suck it up.
Stay tuned for other unpopular opinions in the future...I am full of them
1 comment:
I feel that this may have been the popular opinion in the apartment the other night, though I agree, a very unpopular opinion in general!
Post a Comment