Thursday, September 23, 2010

Tutorial angst

This semester, for the first time in a while, I am hired as a Teaching Assistant. So I am doing tutorials for first year calculus. It has been a long time since I have done tutorials, but since I have been teaching classes, I was not concerned and, if anything, I was excited because I knew I could do a really good job. What I was not prepared for was the hassle involved OUTSIDE the classroom. Between the learning centre coordinator, TA coordinator, instructors, instructor coordinator, random emails and crazy online systems, I am ready to quit and the first week isn't over! It just seems like no one is in charge and no one is taking responsibility for anything. I want to tear my hair out.

Despite my usual tendency to try to fix things and to organize things, I am backing off and sticking my head in the sand. I will do only the tutorials and the marking I am supposed to do and not bother with the other garbage.

It is unfortunate that politics and coordination ruin my enjoyment to teaching students.

No comments: